In Athens, ancient and modern blend harmoniously. Here a traveler can feel spoiled, because the capital of Greece leaves no wish unfulfilled thanks to the energy of the big city, the scent of sea and blue of the wonderful beaches, excellent gastronomy and endless opportunities to immerse yourself in history, culture, art, in the myths.
We have summarized for you 25 experiences that the Athenians love , and that we are sure you will love too.
1. Visit the Acropolis Museum and eat in the attached restaurant. It is one of the 5 best restaurants in a museum in the world!
2. Stroll in the historic district of Plaka and then climb Mount Lycabettus, from where you can enjoy a splendid view of Athens.
3. Follow the route of Dionysiou Areopagitou from the Acropolis to Keramikos passing through the ancient ruins.
4. Go shopping via Ermou. Here you will also find the Kapnikarea church, built in the 11th century.
5. Emotion in front of a sunset over the sea in Kastella.
6. Taste fresh fish and seafood in one of the small restaurants at the port of Mikrolimano.
7. Relax by spending a day on the beach in Flisvos.
8. Discover the Panathinaicos stadium, home of the first Olympic Games.
9. Taste traditional Greek dishes such as gyros, pikilia and ouzo in the famous Thanasis tavern on Monastirak Square.
10.Drink a coffee in Kolonaki Square, in the homonymous district, and observe the Athenian high society.
12. Sunday, spend a few hours in the flea market in Piazza Monastiraki hunting for ancient treasures of the Greeks and admiring the view of the Acropolis.
13. Have a swim on one of the beaches of Athens.
14. Climb up to Cape Sounion, visit the temple dedicated to the god of water Poseidon and be enchanted by the most beautiful sunset in Athens.
15 . Visit the Agora, where once the most important philosophers held their lessons.
16. Discover ancient and modern Athens in the National Archaeological Museum.
17. Feel spoiled for choice in Fabrica de Vino, a Hot Spot with more than 400 different wines from Greece.
18. Spend the evening in one of the best bars in Athens. The Gin Joint is particularly famous for its gin.
19. Dig a little deeper into Greek history by visiting Olympus, also called the Temple of Zeus Olympus.
20. Attend an event at the Odeon of Herodes Atticus. The theater can hold about 5000 spectators.
21. Go to the Mezedopoleia restaurant in the Petralona district and try a little of everything with the tapas menu.
22.Visit the Platonic Academy and the National Library Greek.
24. Taking a break from sightseeing in Athens with a live cold beer and music at the bar Barley Cargo.
25. Take a trip through the ages of Greek culture and history in the Benaki Museum.